Monday, September 23, 2013

Dissecting the NY Times Runway Blog

This week, I read an article from the New York Times "On the Runway" blog. The post I interpreted was by Cathy Horyn and was titled "Prada: Working Girl." In the article, Cathy describes the Prada Spring 2014 runway show and shares her thoughts about it. I've separated Cathy's vivid language into 5 categories: silhouette, details, color, fabric, and creative jargon. This break down should help everyone better understand fashion language, and get a feel for what the overall appearance of the Prada runway show was like.

  • Silhouette - sleeveless, dresses, leg warmers, web sandal, box-pleated skirts, schoolgirlish coats, shift and coat shapes, simple sportswear, shifts, coats, bags
  • Details - ribbed, sports elements, varsity stripes, box-pleated, freckled with colored stones, chunky embroidery, printed
  • Color - colored stones
  • Fabric - viscose knits, wools, screen-printed silks, printed mink
  • Creative Jargon - schoolgirlish, femininity, lavish compositions, transparently muscular, feminine portraits, poster art


Here are some of the shots I liked best from the Prada show...

Overall, I was impressed by Ms. Horyn's writing.  Her use of descriptive words is out of this world. I'm impressed by and respect her vocabulary. She paints a picture of this runway show with ease. However, I was surprised by her lack of color language in this article. The only word she used to describe the colors in this show was, in fact, a pretty vague word, "colored." This could mean many things to a reader (multi-colored, red-colored, complementary-colored -- which one is it?). To a reader with limited visuals this could pose a problem. 

After looking at the show in its entirety, I think color plays an important factor in this show. Prada used a wide range of colors in this collection. Dull neutrals like deep army green, grays, and blacks were mixed with pieces of richly colored hues like bright yellow, pumpkin orange, and cobalt blue.

Other than the lack of color emphasis in Cathy's article, I really enjoy what she has to say. I agree with some of her opinions on this show, like how she wasn't crazy about Miuccia Prada's use of graphic portraits. Something about this Prada show just wasn't on point for me. I think the collection had a little too much of a mishmash of different design elements. Prada's designs were a little too out there for me, and that's coming from someone who usually appreciates a crazy runway show.


Read Cathy Horyn's full article here.
& watch a recap of the Prada Spring 2014 Runway here!

4 comments:

  1. Ali! First of all, love your blog name! Secondly, I really like what Cathy shared about this article. It is easy to seperate the five categories into silhouette, details, color, fabric, and creative jargon. The break down makes it easy to understand and helps with learning the, " fashion language." The overall Prada Runway show for Spring 2014 was incredible, I cant stop looking at these pictures- very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allison,
    I completely agree with you on the fact that Cathy Horyn is super descriptive and spot on in her review. Its really interesting how well these fashion journalists they can paint a picture for the readers that weren't able to attend shows. Also, I love the looks you chose to display. Horyn's language mimics what I see in the collection which is ultimately the goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, I love your blog name and the layout! So simple, yet very pretty!
    I agree with everything you said. I love Cathy and the way she writes! The words she uses, wow! I have never read such descriptive writing before. In the article when she wrote "a slap in the face, Cher style", I died! So funny and clever. I can actually picture Cher slapping someone right in the center of the face. Great picture!
    The Prada show was just so beautiful and every piece was breathtaking. I did not want it to end. But, Prada is usually always one of my favorites! But I can see how maybe it wasn't for everyone. But it is all about personal taste and style!
    I hope you keep up with the great work! Your blog is beautiful and the way you write is just so well thought out! :D

    ReplyDelete

Recent Comments Widget